Duckfat | French Fry Nirvana | Portland, ME

duckfat signLast weekend I took my first visit to Portland, Maine. I didn’t know much about the city before arriving, except that I was going to Duckfat….before doing anything else. If you haven’t heard of it, Duckfat is an adorably whimsical sandwich shop started by husband and wife team Nancy Pugh and Rob Evans (of Portland restaurant Hugo’s), who was awarded best chef in the Northeast by the James Beard Foundation in 2009. The tiny restaurant has gotten the attention of everyone from the Boston Globe, to the power female trifecta (OprahRachel RayMartha Stewart) to Food & Wine, so, you know, it’s kind of a big deal.

beersFor beverages we went for some fall beer specials. Is it just me or does any drink taste better when coming from a mason jar? Why are they so charming?white bean, kale and chorizo soupEven though it was 80 degrees outside, I couldn’t not order the white bean, kale and chorizo soup special, kale and chorizo soup is always bomb. This version was a little oily, but still had that lovely chorizo spice.

spread duckfatDuck fat fries with truffle ketchup and thai chili mayo, spicy italian panini & pork belly BLT. Not a bad lunch, not a bad lunch at all.

duck fat friesDuck fat fries should be illegal. They remained crispy until the bottom of the cone and every bite was perfectly salted. We finished every last crumb of fried duck fat. The power that duck fat fries hold is actually terrifying. If they are in front of you, you WILL eat them all. Exercise caution when ordering them. You’ve been warned.

thai chili mayoThe thai chili garlic sauce was great, but truffle ketchup totally out-sauced it. Out-sauce like a boss.

pork belly BLT

I really didn’t like the pork belly BLT panini. Just kidding, it was awesome. The pork belly was tender and almost jelly-textured, which was great with the crispy bread.

spicy Italian paniniI got the spicy Italian panini made with salami, capicola, hot pepper relish, pesto aioli & provolone, it was true sandwich perfection. This was extraordinary, the red pepper relish offered two completely different flavors on each side of the panini and the meat and cheese were like the buffer zone between them that made it work. Like Tim Gunn. Ya dig?

Duckfat. Go there.

Duck Fat on Urbanspoon

43 Middle St
Portland, ME 04101

13 Comments

1. I miss those fries! So glad to hear you enjoyed..

2. Portland is my favorite! I actually didnt enjoy my Duck Fat experience quite as much- but your review is making me want to return…

3. Taryn says:

Best. Place. Ever. Seriously, it’s always my first stop in Portland, and sometimes my last too…

4. Liz says:

I’ve never been to Portland, but when I go this place will be top on my list!

5. I actually went to Duckfat a few weeks ago and wrote about it on my blog too. I can’t stop thinking about those damn fries! They blew my mind!!!

Where else did you stop while you were in town?

6. Megan says:

I love those fries! Such a cute little place. Always a must-stop when in Portland.

7. Meesh says:

fore street – which i thought was good but kind of underwhelming and miyake which i absolutely adored! where did you eat?

8. Michelle says:

Really like Duckfat a lot…especially their duck confit panini. But I love, adore, pine after Hugo’s! I even have a copy of the incredible tasting menu I did framed in our home – no joke.

9. Elizabeth says:

I love Duckfat!! But really I love anything Portland.

10. Just found your blog. Portland is such a great food city! I’ve had that Italian Panini at Duckfat, and it had the perfect amount of heat. Bummer about Fore Street, though. I have a reservation there for November, since I’ve never been able to snag a seat.

11. Meesh says:

I’m sure you’ll enjoy it! I think it was a tad bit overhyped, especially with the whole wait in line starting at 5pm thing.

My favorite dish was the prime rib with hen of the woods mushrooms. omg.

12. Esther says:

For the next time you are up Portland way,,,gotta stop at the Cheese Iron in Scarborough for some fab cheeses made by the owner. Also–craving real pasta?? Try Paciarino on the other end of Fore Street for some authentic home-made ravioli and other pastas by a couple from Milan who settled in Maine. I am a Masshole who formerly lived over a decade in Portland area and sadly moved back to MA 2 yrs ago. Miss the great dining spots in Maine and the fresh seafood!

13. Pingback: Eventide Oyster Co. | Portland Restaurant Week | Part 2 | Just Add Cheese!